Weekly Recap – June 14th, 2013
Brace yourself for random screeds:
Concerning my current WIP, I feel an energy coming back. It’s not quite there yet, but the excitement is building. Here’s to hoping it amounts to something and I pull out of my current dip. I’ve been researching like a madman, so it’s time to take a look at my outline again and see how I can improve it.
I’ve been reading so much non-fiction lately, the fiction lover in me has become malnourished. I don’t want to get into anything too heavy, so I’ve reached for my guilty pleasure — Star Trek: The Next Generation Pocket Books. I don’t have to learn new characters and the plots are fun and easy.
I started a trial run of Google Play’s music service. So far, I dig it. The performance of the Android app and an ability to play whole albums have left me re-evaluating my current streaming solution, last.fm. I’ll give it another week or two before I decide to make the switch.
For the past few months, I’ve been near fanatical about my diet and exercise regimen. I’ve always been an exerciser, but late last year, I was struck by a revelation. I stepped back and saw someone who was constantly wiped out when he got home from work and getting sick way too often. After talking with a friend, he recommended I look at my diet, specifically cutting out non-vegetable carbohydrates.
Ridiculous, I thought. Even “good” things like whole grains and oatmeal?
Yes, even those.
That just seemed crazy, but I like to think I’m an open-minded person and if I didn’t try this for at least a couple of weeks, I’d be a total hypocrite (I figure we’re all ‘partial’ hypocrites).
So I embarked on my low-carb journey. I began to educate myself a little more and discovered that a lot of the nutrients you get from whole grains and oatmeal can typically be found in greater abundance in vegetables and fruits.
Let me tell you, the first couple of days were rough. I felt like I was starving, no matter how many florets of broccoli I was shoving down my gullet. It wasn’t really a physical hunger either, it was more psychological. My brain kept wanted something bready, but I forced myself to stick with the plan.
One week later, I was glad I did. My cravings went away and I never felt so full of life. I had always heard “carbs = energy”, so I was shocked to discover that I was filled with so much more energy on a diet consisting of meat, dairy, fruit, nuts, and fibrous vegetables.
This time last year, I was also getting ill pretty often from allergy infections and the like. Since changing my diet, my worst symptom has been the occasional runny nose. It’s really blown me away how much of a difference I’ve seen from simply modifying what I eat, and I’m a guy who, a year ago, would have told you such an idea was BS (butterscotch).
Of course, all of this is not to say I’ve cut bread and processed sugar completely out of my life (as you know my love for cookies), but I’ve definitely reduced my consumption and have restricted myself to ‘cheating’ once a week. The funny thing is, I find myself being much more judicious on those cheat days. I’m no longer gorging myself on half a pizza. Two slices and I’m usually good to go. Also, my trips to Dairy Queen have me feeling full halfway through a sickeningly-sweet small Blizzard.
And since ‘they’ say diet is 70% of losing body fat, the other 30% means getting off one’s ass and moving around. So I’m also in the gym three times a week lifting weights and spending one or two times a week on cardio, specifically High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). As a combined result, my belt has required some tightening over the past couple of months and I anticipate having to replace a few wardrobe items in another month or two.
So, I guess this is a public thank you to my friend Wes who helped me take the things I’m putting in my body more seriously.
Wow, that last screed was longer than I anticipated. Hopefully I didn’t bore anyone to sleep. Just eat more cauliflower.
To all the dad’s out there, have a great Father’s Day weekend.